Thursday, September 2, 2010

Networks

Before Pete has a chance to persuade me otherwise, I pay the bill with my platinum AMEX. Due to the shameful lack of expensive wine drank today, it’s probably the cheapest meal I have ever had at Quay. I leave a generous tip. I generally always tip; only when the service is so poor, food substandard or atmosphere appalling will I consider not doing so. Despite the rowdy ‘N Sync look-alikes, everything was great today. The maitre d’ handled Timberlake and the boys well and I want her to know it was appreciated (my rules on favours extend to such assistance). Tipping is something some people refuse to do, or think of flimsy justification for avoiding, usually because they are cheap. I’m well aware that people in hospitality work long hours, often with little reward. I work hard for long hours for significant reward, so I have no problem opening my wallet to those less fortunate when they have done a good job.

“Okay Pete, thanks for a great lunch, I am truly sorry I cannot stick around today.” This is completely genuine; I would love to spend all afternoon drinking and laughing with Pete like a couple of Irishmen on holiday. “Well young man, if I wasn’t aware of your sincerity, I may be a little more upset, but you owe me now.” I sure do, his $500,000 investment was better than I expected and will do wonders to show Brian once again that I am his greatest asset, and Jono that he cannot compete. “I’m going to stay here and enjoy another bottle of champagne, before you go you, however, need to talk to that young lady who has been starting at you all lunchtime.” He’s right, I do.

The maitre d' has been making eyes at me constantly, and I have thrown her the odd bone by looking back. I’m not overly attracted to her, which means she is already under the Juliet Bar, but I take every opportunity to extend my personal and business network to the right people.

Networks are extremely important. Not faux networks, like the amount of friends you have on Facebook or connections on LinkedIn, but real life people at the other end of the phone that you can meet for a coffee. Establishing and maintaining relationships is essential to success as a top rat racer. Knowing people who can help you with any problem or query you have is a wonderful thing. If you need a corporate lawyer, you want three you can call; if you need to know about insurance, you want your mate from QBE on the line; if there’s something strange in your neighbourhood, you want a Ghostbuster in your rolodex. Equally, you want these people to think of you when they need advice or assistance in your field. You can never have too many people in your network, but they must be good at what they do, and know you are too, so the relationship is mutually beneficial. Having the maitre d’ at Quay in my network will certainly be mutually beneficial, how exactly will depend on the terms of that relationship, which I am still to figure out.

“Hi. Thanks for everything today. Perhaps I can buy you that glass of champagne sometime?” I’m leaning against the wall - relaxed, inviting. “My pleasure. Yes, I’d like that.” And that’s that, all you need to do is ask. “Fantastic, here is my number.” I ask her to write hers down on a napkin, the classic way. “Speak soon.” As I walk out I remember that I don’t even know her name. I turn and ask, “So sorry, I don’t have your name?!” She giggles a little, “It’s Anastasia.” Anastasia? I am immediately put off by this and know right away that there will be little chance of romance here. “Bye, Anastasia.” I walk off with a nod to Pete and reach into my pocket for my Blackberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment